Monday, November 20, 2006

A Wedding

Last weekend, I attended the wedding of a friend. It made me daydream about how nice it would be to get married. All these friends who I haven't seen in awhile and who I've known for a long time would come. I could invite all of Mom's friends. The Rabbi from my family's shul would efficiate. I would love to get married somewhere outside, maybe somewhere with ocean views, maybe a beach.

I think about the song that I'd walk to - maybe Shlomo Artzi's Shneim (Two). And I'd follow my friend's new take on the traditional Jewish ritual of circling the groom - instead we circle each other. We'd have a ketubah, but would change the patriachal language and make it a real contract between us - not between groom and my father.

Sometimes I picture marrying a woman. And we find much more interesting and unique ways of incorporating the Jewish traditions. I don't know what my Mom would think about this.

1 comment:

Gail Rae said...

This reminds me...many years ago, when we were no longer officially "children" but not at all close to becoming the adults we've become, one of my sisters and I confessed to each other that wouldn't it be nice if we could marry our sisters...if we could, we'd marry each other. This memory, combined with this post of yours, reminds me that marriage is a spiritual undertaking.

Don't know why, but the post and the memory it evoked in me makes me smile.