Tuesday, November 14, 2006

My Fantasy of a Father

I read The Wounded Woman: Healing the Father-Daughter Relationship tonight, and the author assigns women to think about what their fantasy of a father would be...I think as a way to think better possibilities about men, but anyway, here goes:

I would love to have a father, or even a father figure, who...
...supports me, tells me that he's proud of me, doesn't pressure me to do things that I don't want to do, does things for me (like trying a new restaurant) that he doesn't want to do because he loves me, dependable, takes care of me when I'm sick, listens to me when I have a bad day and empathizes, loves me unconditionally, appreciates me, complements me on the way that I look, is honest and open with me, and gives me advice when asked but doesn't get offended if I decide to go another way.

3 comments:

Gail Rae said...

Well, I'm hooked. What a great idea, and what interesting execution. I love the quote by Muriel Rukeyser. I'll be checking back.

DebP said...

Karma--Have you read anything by Alice Koller? "An Unknown Woman" is wonderful--it meant so much to me.

Deb P.

Anonymous said...

I love your fantasy of a father.